crystal j. in Richmond Home Magazine!


crystal j. is in the Fall 2006 issue of Richmond Home Magazine! I'm the one on the first page of the Potpourri section, holding the R initial pillow you see above. Page 15. I am super ecstatic about this! I am in a magazine! My silk work has never been in print before. I have had a painting that I did in high school on the cover of Virginia Writing Magazine and that was certainly exciting too, but this is a true magazine that you can find on newstands! Albeit a trying task to find one this weekend. The magazine hit the newstands on Friday, but I could not find a one in my area. Finally, my younger sister found one in a local grocery store by VCU.

I received a phone call and email about a month ago from a writer that wanted to set up an interview with me for a spot in R Home magazine. I was so surprised and flattered at the time, wondering how she got my name or saw my work. Turns out an editor of Richmond Magazine had seen my card and went to my Etsy store and blog and thought my work would be great for the fall issue. I met with the writer and chatted with her for over an hour about what I do and why, etc., etc. That was a really great experience, I had never been interviewed before (except for answering questions for the make it interview) and was interested to see how our conversation would formulate itself into an article. The anticipation of the interview was a little nerve racking, but not as much as the anticipation of the photo shoot. Now I had never done a photo shoot, I think the last time I had my picture taken by a professional photographer was for my wedding! I was nervous, but the photographer was great and made it a very relaxing time. So, at that point I had met with the writer, the editors, and the photographer and I just had to wait.....So, when I found out that the article would be out on Friday, September 29, I went to every local grocery store, bookstore, pharmacy in my little area and was about in a tizzy because I couldn't find one. When I finally saw it (the one that my sister had picked up) it was such a relief. I had the hugest smile on my face as I read the article and looked at the photo, remembering each piece of the puzzle. I was pleased with how both the photo and the writing turned out, great work to all involved! So, if you are in the Richmond area you can pick up your very own copy. I am hoping that circulation will increase in the coming days so it won't be so elusive. If you aren't in the area, and you would like to see it you can order one here.

It's funny, I still do not have a copy of my own yet, but thanks to one of my really great friends, I have a beautiful framed and matted version to hang up at home. So, go on the quest, check it out and let me know what you think! Yay!

Comments

Nicole said…
I saw it today! You have to give yourself bigger kudos on that great article and fab picture. Get ye to a scanner and post it! ;-)
Tasha McKelvey said…
I second what Nicole said! It's such a great picture and all those pillows!