Ruffled Silk Aviator Scarves!

A few months ago I came across this tidbit of information that white silk scarves were worn by pilots back in the day to keep the exhaust smoke out of their lungs. I thought it was interesting, I even tweeted about it. Fast forward to now... and how cool is it that my newest creation is the ruffled silk aviator scarf. This scarf was inspired by a request for a gift for a bride that loves airplanes. A feminine take on the classic aviator scarf! I couldn't help but think I was making this scarf for Amelia Earhart. I felt that the stark, raw white of the silk, wasn't rich enough, so I chose to dye it a super pale ivory color. I'm so used to doing bright, saturated colors, it was quite a challenge not to get the color too dark, but the resulting subtle creamy color gives this scarf a vintage look. The ruffles are so very feminine and pretty, making this scarf the perfect accessory - for casual or dressy outfits - and because of the color I think this scarf would be a great bridal accessory too! Stay tuned for a few other sizes of the aviator scarf coming soon as well.

I am so excited about this new scarf and I added one to my space in the Richmond Craft Mafia Handmade Throwdown shop! If you are in the Richmond area, you can check it out along with a few other bright colored ruffled silk scarves as well. Fly on by.

Comments