crystal j. vs. Alexander McQueen

A showdown! *Cue the western music and the tumbleweeds* Well, okay, okay, not a real showdown, more like a comparison of sorts. If you're not familiar with the name, Alexander McQueen is a famous British fashion designer that helped take skulls from the street to runway to mainstream! Check out this post from Candice Shih on the Orange County Register Style Binge blog about fashion examining our skull scarves based on price. In this installment of a series called "The Look for Less", Candice shows the crystal j. skull scarf, pictured above, beside one by Alexander Mcqueen and asks if you can guess which scarf is which! I am totally stoked that my scarf is being set side-by-side with the infamous skull scarf that tons of celebrities have been rocking for years. If you see a star with a skull scarf on chances are it's an A. McQueen scarf that cost upwards of $260! I know that it is only a comparison, but this post helped me to begin to evaluate and put some things into perspective, both creatively and business-wise. I am a one-woman-show painting each scarf one at a time in my little home studio and Mr. McQueen has been a very famous and renowned designer for many years, so I am flattered and totally honored to even have my work on the same page as his. Thank you so much Candice!

To me, much like animal prints or nautical themes, the skull has become a classic motif in fashion. What do you think? I would love to know your thoughts on this. There's a nifty one click "hot or not" voter button over on the Style Binge blog. So far skulls are deemed hot with 69% of the vote. Yes.

Comments

RIP Alexander McQueen